Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Fruit Vendors in Chinatown

Street vendors are a common sight in New York City. They provide a convenient and inexpensive option for commuters to pick up some fruits and vegetables on their way home from work. This is because the lines are shorter and the produce are usually fresher. Plus the low overhead expenses mean cheaper prices for the consumers.

The vendors in this photo taken in Chinatown sell exotic tropic fruits that you will not find in regular grocery stores. Some of the more interesting produce are fresh longans, dwarf bananas, pomelo, kumquats and persimmons.

Keropokman of Singapore Daily Photo recently posted a photo of durians, the supposed "stinkiest fruit in the world." Have you tried them??

11 comments:

Dsole said...

Hi!
I'm just traveling around this little world, and have a break by your blog. You have lots of wonderful photos. I like this one about little "street-shops". We're so lucky we can try new tastes even sometimes you can feel a little sick.. to try or not to try.. that's the question!
Greetings from Madrid and a happy new year!

another madrid dailyphoto blog

edwin s said...

Durians are great! I had some a few days ago. Do you like them?

Lisi said...

I don't like the smell therefore have never tried them...I like today and yesterday's posts and yes, showing more people is good!

Unknown said...

Your blog is very infomative with nice photo. Thank you!!

A happy new year in 2007 from Tokyo:-))

Olivier said...

Chinatown, un plaisir de s'y promener, ce que j'aime le plus c'est les massages dans les rues de chinatown, apres une journee de marche, cela fait du bien.


Chinatown, a pleasure of walking there, which I like more they are the massages in the streets of chinatown, after one day of walk, that made of the good.

Ming the Merciless said...

dsole & macky - thanks for the comment.

edwin & lisi - I have eaten them as a kid growing up in Asia. Now I get durian milk shake at the Vietnamese restaurants in Chinatown. Tastes just as good. :-)

olivier - Like you, I love the street side massages in Chinatown. I will try to take a picture of them to post here.

Annie said...

Ah, an advantage of living in the city. I've never seen a durian for sale in Little Rock.

Unknown said...

Yesterday I was sitting in a bus, and arrghh.. someone must have just eaten durian!

the bus just smell of durian the moment he walked in. *gasp for air* haha....

Carlos Lorenzo said...

I have enjoyed this fruity post. I haven't tried Durians, I think. I would like to try all of them in fact. Thanks for the info.

annulla said...

We don't get fresh durians here (at least, I've never seen them) but there are plenty of frozen durians for sale. Personally, I love them but I don't know how they compare to the fresh-picked fruit.

Meg said...

You mean you have healthier options than hot dogs and pretzels?