Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Doorman @ Bergdorf Goodman

The distinguished looking gentleman in the photo is the doorman for Bergdorf Goodman, a luxury goods departmental store on 5th Avenue and 59th Street. [See previous photo commentary for more information on Bergdorf Goodman.] He was wearing a beautiful Russian fur hat and a long wool coat that reminded me of the character played by Omar Sharif in the 1965 movie, Doctor Zhivago.

The Russian fur hat called, ushanka is traditionally made of rabbit fur but it is also available in other types of animal fur and "fish fur", a term used to describe synthetic materials since fish do not have fur. A distinct feature of the ushanka is the collapsible ear flaps on each side of the hat. They are meant to keep the ears warm during cold windy weather. During warmer weathers, the ear flaps can be folded up and tied above the hat. Ushankas are popular in cold weather cities with huge Russian immigrant populations like Chicago, Illonois and New York City.

So what do you think of the hat?

N.B.: I did asked for permission before taking the photo.

10 comments:

pcfranchina said...

I personally couldn't pull off a hat like that.
Do you nornally ask permission before snapping a photo?

Phil
http://nycblogspot.blogspot.com/

Ming the Merciless said...

Phil - well, this is the first person I asked before snapping a photo. I avoid taking photo of people face, if possible. And I always do it in public spaces. I, too am curious as to what the legal limit is when taking photos. Do you know?

pcfranchina said...

As far as I know I think anything in public is OK to photograph. The one thing I'm pretty shy about is someones child. A parent and child is one thing but would never just take a shot of a kid. Just seems creepy.

Olivier said...

en effet il y a quelque chose de docteur jivago. Je croyais (en lisant les journaux français) qu'il faisait tres tres bon à New York en ce moment.


indeed there is something of doctor jivago. I believed (by reading the French newspapers) whom it made very very good in New York in this moment.

Anonymous said...

Um, I like Russian hats generally. Like Karzai looks great in his. This one with the strap doesn't do much for me. I'd like him better in one without a strap.

I've heard the same, that anyone in public is fair game for a photo, but I have the same shyness.

Anonymous said...

such hats are still popular amongst the elderly here..i'd prefer a beret ;)

Dsole said...

It's a warn hat, that's the point!

Ming the Merciless said...

I am tempted to get an ushanka for myself but I have to make sure I don't look like an idiot in it first.

Unknown said...

hmmm it would be too hot to wear it in singapore.

but... it looks interesting.

Melting Wok said...

hahaha ming, very nice pictorial expression of the door man, bit grumpy doing his job haha :)